Q: My wife and I have a reasonably good relationship, but I do not want to just let it go on automatic pilot. What can we do to keep our relationship alive and growing?
A: You are right in recognizing the need to nurture and tend to your relationship. No relationship is born ideal – it grows, and growth does not happen by accident. It takes a concerted effort and interest.
- Some hints for enriching your relationship include the following:
- Plan new experiences (take turns planning).
- Make opportunities for intimacy and sexuality (this means private time).
- Allow for personal, individual growth. A vital, alive relationship consists of two vital, alive individuals.
- Express feelings and thoughts to each other openly and often to keep the air clear.
- Find out what your partner wants and help him/her get it.